DID YOU KNOW?  -- Three years before the 1995 Srebrenica Genocide, Serbs torched Bosniak villages and killed at least 3,166 Bosniaks around Srebrenica. In 1993, the UN described the besieged situation in Srebrenica as a "slow-motion process of genocide." In July 1995, Serbs forcibly expelled 25,000 Bosniaks, brutally raped many women and girls, and systematically killed 8,000+ men and boys (DNA confirmed).

08 September, 2010

FIRST GUILTY PLEA IN GENOCIDE TRIAL

“I understand the indictment and I plead guilty."

Photo of Vlastimir Golijan on trial.

Former member of the Bosnian Serb 10th Reconnaissance Squad, Vlastimir Golijan, has pleaded guilty on one count of genocide in Srebrenica.

“I understand the indictment and I plead guilty,” Golijan said to a judge at the Court of Bosnia and Herzegovina in Sarajevo.

Other three defendants - Franc Kos, Stanko Kojic, and Zoran Goranja - pleaded not guilty. Kojic pretended to be insane by suggesting that he is not guilty because he suffers from schizofrenia. He was apparently not suffering from schizofrenia when he planned in great detail how to evade capture from authorities. He had several different IDs in his possession.

“I understand the indictment to some extent. What you are saying is a bit unclear as well. I am under therapy because I suffer from schizophrenia, but I can say I am not guilty,” Kojic said.


The International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia (ICTY) unanimously found that in July 1995, Serb forces "targeted for extinction the 40,000 Bosnian Muslims living in Srebrenica."