DID YOU KNOW?  -- Three years before the 1995 Srebrenica Genocide, Serbs torched Bosniak villages and killed at least 3,166 Bosniaks around Srebrenica. In 1993, the UN described the besieged situation in Srebrenica as a "slow-motion process of genocide." In July 1995, Serbs forcibly expelled 25,000 Bosniaks, brutally raped many women and girls, and systematically killed 8,000+ men and boys (DNA confirmed).

30 July, 2010

COME FOR A CAKE IN SREBRENICA

(Correction: The store does not sell cold Sarajevo beer as previously reported.)

Mirsad Omerovic, proud owner of a first cake store in Srebrenica.

Bosniak returnee - Mirsad Omerović - opened a first cake shop in Srebrenica. Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is partly responsible for his success.

CRS provided assistance in rebuilding homes in and around Srebrenica and helping Bosniak people rebuild their lives in ethnically cleansed and war-devastated region. In Potocari alone, they built 33 homes for returnees located walking distance from the Srebrenica Genocide Memorial.

Mirsad was a refugee in his own country for 15 years. Only recently, he received keys to his newly built home, courtesy of CRS. Immediately after, he opened a cake store.

"I opened this store because it is unfortunate that [Srebrenica] people have to go all the way to Bratunac [neighboring town] to enjoy a cake. I've been in business only for a month, but I must say that I am very satisfied with my job, and very grateful." he said to Sarajevo daily 'Avaz'.


"Customers of all ages come to my store. Even foreigners, who temporarily stay in Srebrenica, come to my store for a cake. I work every day from early morning until late night. I sell all kinds of cakes, which I deliver from Zvornik and Tuzla, and I price them reasonably."

Mirsad is grateful for an opportunity to own a business and feed his family. He claims he has 'golden hands', meaning that he is not afraid of hard work, and he thanks "God for everything I do."