DID YOU KNOW?  -- Three years before the 1995 Srebrenica Genocide, Serbs torched Bosniak villages and killed at least 3,166 Bosniaks around Srebrenica. In 1993, the UN described the besieged situation in Srebrenica as a "slow-motion process of genocide." In July 1995, Serbs forcibly expelled 25,000 Bosniaks, brutally raped many women and girls, and systematically killed 8,000+ men and boys (DNA confirmed).

09 December, 2009


The remains of dozens of Bosniaks killed in the 1995 Srebrenica genocide were found in the Zalazje mass grave located near Srebrenica, an official said on Wednesday. (See photos)

"We have found 12 complete and 106 incomplete bodies," in the grave in Srebrenica surroundings, said forensic expert Sadik Selimovic. Five bags containing their clothes and shoes were also found in the grave, he said.

Exhumation work at the mass grave site, measuring 23 by three metres (76 by 10 feet), started in mid-November. The grave is a so-called "secondary," burial place, meaning that the victims' remains were moved there from another site.

Bosnian Serbs captured the then UN-protected enclave on July 11, 1995, in the final phases of Bosnia's 1992-1995 war.

In the following days they summarily killed 8,372 Bosniak men and boys, in the worst and only genocide in Europe since World War II.

DNA results of the
International Commission on Missing Persons support an estimate of 8,100 Srebrenica genocide victims. So far, the identities of 6,186 genocide victims have been revealed by the DNA analysis.

From 1992-1995 Serbs from heavily militarized villages around Srebrenica had forced thousands of Bosniak refugees to live in the Srebrenica ghetto with little or no means of survival. Serb Army stationed around Srebrenica never demilitarized, even though they were required to do so under the 1993 demilitarization agreements.

Furthermore, Serbs around Srebrenica constantly attacked neighbouring Bosniak villages, frequently bombarding them from air and with Serbian airplanes. More than 400 Bosnian Muslim villages were destroyed around Srebrenica in 1992. During the same year, Serbs killed at least 11,000 Bosniaks killed in Podrinje (region encompasing Srebrenica). All these crimes against Bosnian Muslim civilians took place three years before the Srebrenica genocide.

In July 1995 the Bosnian Serb army staged a brutal takeover of Srebrenica and its surrounding area, where they proceeded to perpetrate genocide. Bosnian Serb soldiers and paramilitary thugs, both groups commonly known as "Chetniks," separated Bosniak families, forcibly expelled 30,000 Bosniaks, and summarily executed at least 8,372 Bosnian Muslims - boys, men, and the elderly. Srebrenica genocide is remembered the worst atrocity in Europe since World War II.

Despite bitter-cold weather, Bosniaks continue excavations of brutally massacred Srebrenica civilians. 6,200 Srebrenica victims have been exhumed so far from 80 mass graves in the area.

PHOTO: Forensic experts (from left to right) Edo Smajilovic, Admir Jugo and Matthew Vennemayer, of the International Commission for Missing Persons ICMP search for body remains in the Zalazje Mass Grave on December 3 2009.

"The grave contains remains of victims belonging to 1000 Srebrenica Bosniaks that had been killed in the Kravica agricultural warehouse."

- Zalazje Mass Grave Excavation in Progress [read here]
- Update from the 80th Mass Grave of Srebrenica Genocide [read here, contains photos]