DID YOU KNOW?  -- Three years before the 1995 Srebrenica Genocide, Serbs torched Bosniak villages and killed at least 3,166 Bosniaks around Srebrenica. In 1993, the UN described the besieged situation in Srebrenica as a "slow-motion process of genocide." In July 1995, Serbs forcibly expelled 25,000 Bosniaks, brutally raped many women and girls, and systematically killed 8,000+ men and boys (DNA confirmed).

05 October, 2007


Photo Caption: A forensic expert searches for remains of Bosnian Muslims in a mass grave in Zeleni Jadar, near Srebrenica September 25, 2007. Almost twelve years after the war ended in Bosnia, experts have discovered another mass grave with remains of victims of the 1995 massacre of over 8,000 Bosniak men and boys by the Bosnian Serb forces in Srebrenica. Reuters/Damir Sagolj. (Photo republished for fair use only)


On September 22 2007, the International Commission on Missing Persons (ICMP) said it discovered a mass grave of bodies of 44 Bosniaks who were killed during Srebrenica's massacre in 1995.

And just as recently as October 4th 2007, the remains of more than 120 Bosniak civilian victims of the Srebrenica massacre have been exhumed from a mass grave in eastern Bosnia located outside the village of Zeleni Jadar, about 15 kilometres (10 miles) south of Srebrenica. This mass grave is thought to contain the remains of at least another 50 people, bringing total number of victims in only two locations to over 200.

ICMP said that the victims were shot to death and they included children who were between 7 and 11 years old.

This graveyard is one of many others in Srebrenica and leaders of Bosnian Serb forces did their best to hide their crimes.

Some personal documents had also been uncovered from the burial site, which was discovered in September. The remains were crushed and compressed, proving they had been re-buried with bulldozers.

Most of the victims' remains were buried in a large mass grave before being moved by Serbs in an attempt to cover up the crime. Thousands have been uncovered from about 60 mass graves around the eastern town.

Bosnian Serb forces killed about 8,000 Bosniak men and boys in the Srebrenica genocide - the single worst atrocity in Europe since World War II.

The main culprits for the crime - wartime Bosnian Serb political leader Radovan Karadzic and his army chief Ratko Mladic - remain at large.

The Srebrenica massacre has been recognized by the UN war crimes tribunal and the International Court of Justice to have constituted genocide.

In July 11 of 1995, Bosnian Serb forces with logistical help of Serbia, attacked Srebrenica enclave who received assurances from nearby UN forces that they will not be attacked on the basis of a Security-Council resolution that put the region under international protection.

Based in Sarajevo, ICMP was founded in 1996 to address the issue of persons missing as a result of conflicts relevant to Bosnia, Croatia and Serbia from during 1991-1995. It also handles relevant issues in Macedonia and Kosovo.

Related readings:
1. Srebrenica massacre grave yields over 1,000 body parts
2. Two cowards on trial for crimes against women and children